Thanks to a timely reminder from Michael Dembinski over at Jeziorki, the cream of Poland’s English-language blogging community gathered at Legends bar on Emilii Plater in Warsaw in November to discuss many important matters. Okay, we drank some beer.
Legends proved to be a decent venue although I have to be true to myself here and say that whilst the “full English breakfast” was welcome it was a little on the small side for me. Brad’s fish and chips were not exactly a knockout either. The decor also didn’t seem quite right for the purpose, falling somewhere between the stools of restaurant, bar and sports bar. Then there was the large Sky Sports screen on the wall blaring away which was a bit of a distraction for footie fans like myself. British bitter on tap might have saved the day but that wasn’t available. I think it’s a fine idea and will no doubt prove to be popular with beer swilling sports fan ex-pats but I honestly can’t see myself being a frequent visitor as it stand right now. I’d advise, in a friendly way, those running it to attend to a few things that are close but perhaps not close enough for long term success in a competitive marketplace.
Here’s the video:
Cast in order of appearance:
- Adam “Ad the Lad” – notable commenter and blog-watcher
- Brad “I promise to post something soon” – Polandian writer, currently going for the record of longest time without a post
- Zosia “Let me give you a haircut” – Long suffering daughter of scatts the videographer
- Jamie “Island 1” – Polandian writer and founder, international man of mystery
- Michael “Jeziorki” – Preeminent chronicler of puddles in the Warsaw suburbs
- Bartek “Keep the lens away from my face” – Polandian writer, currently seeking inspiration for some non-anorakish posts, also does this (once a week)
- Derek “Decoy” – Polandian’s Irish correspondent (but not one of those with a head like a potato!)
- Kolin “The Canadian” – Borsuk na Pradze blogger
- The girls “Blog widows” – Significant others lending their support (after shopping)
- Stephen “Pan Steeva” – Młochów (Mwo-hoov) blogger
I also took some photos and managed to catch those who didn’t appear in the movie, as well some who did.
In this next one, Michael demonstrates his hypnotic stare while Paddy gets very confused about Kolin’s demonstration of how to make a shadow-picture of a Griffon Vulture.
Brad’s impression of a blind Luciano Pavarotti did not go down well with his fellow Polandians.
The potentially explosive mix of nationalities was bound to generate a certain amount of tension! Bob and Kolin go at it while Adam decides to roll a joint and stay out of it.
Brad is astonished as Adam removes parts of his favourite camera.
Jamie tries to prove he’s not drunk at all, oh no!
The ladies wait patiently.
It was great to meet everyone and to see the biggest turnout yet. We’re planning to have a smaller get together in December, perhaps January, for just the Warsaw-based bloggers and there will another general meeting in the Spring, probably. Stay tuned!